Your skin changes a lot throughout your life. Some changes are normal and expected due to aging. However, certain other changes are not normal and are signs that a visit to a dermatologist is in order. Dr. Jeffrey Heller and his team from Heller Dermatology Center are trained to recognize the difference between a skin issue that is nothing to worry about versus something more serious. If you are searching for a dermatologist in Daytona Beach, FL, you can stop your search. Read on to learn some scenarios that indicate a consultation with a dermatologist is needed.
What Are Some Signs and Symptoms I Should See a Dermatologist For?
Bug bites, minor acne, warts, and dandruff cause temporary changes to your skin and rarely need to be seen by a dermatologist. But if you have any of the symptoms listed below, you should consult with a dermatologist in Daytona Beach, FL immediately.
- Severe acne: Acne is mentioned above as not always needing the services of a dermatologist. But that is only for mild acne, which does not bother you much. If you have persistent, painful, and severe acne that disrupts your life, you should consult with a dermatologist about your acne.
- Rosacea: The most common symptom of this condition is a red flush on your cheeks. However, this red flush may extend to the nose, chest, and neck. It can also affect the eyes. Skin bumps and swelling are often present in severe cases. Rosacea occurs when blood vessels expand too rapidly in response to heat, exercise, spicy food, etc. While there is no cure for rosacea, the condition can be well managed with medication.
- Dry, itchy, and reddened skin that is persistent could be signs of psoriasis or eczema. This is especially true if the skin blemishes have failed to respond to treatment provided by your primary care physician.
- A change in the shape or size of a mole or freckle
- In most cases, rashes are temporary and not harmful. But if you have a rash that covers more than 10% of your body and does not resolve after a few days, you need to be seen by a dermatologist. A visit to a dermatologist is essential if your rash is accompanied by a fever, severe itchiness, or pain.
- Sores that do not heal
- Unexpected hair loss
- Skin lesions: An area of the skin that is different from the surrounding skin
- Unsightly veins (varicose or spider veins)
Here at Heller Dermatology Center, we want you to look and feel your best. If you have a concern about your skin, get it checked and put your mind at ease. Your skin and mental health will thank you. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Heller, dermatologist in Daytona Beach, FL. You can reach us by calling (386) 239-8700.